Rabbits are social creatures, but they do not always bond quickly. Sometimes it takes them awhile to get used to each other. I have read a lot of the materials provided by the House Rabbit Society, and armed with that information I have now started Rabbit Friendship Camp. (Everyone else seems to be doing some kind of summer camp, so I thought I would do one too.)
Basically, the principle is that you want to give your rabbits opportunities to be with each other in situations that they are not used to--so not in their cages or regular romping space. They are too comfortable and territorial there. So every day I load all the rabbits into a carrier and take them for a drive. They are too stressed out by the drive to fight with each other, and they even snuggle up to each other for security and reassurance. When we get home, I take them to a room other than "their" room and let them spend a little more time together. Again, they are too stressed out to fight.
After doing this for several days/weeks/months, the rabbits should bond and become lifelong friends. I am hoping that my rabbits will be on the quicker schedule, but according to the House Rabbit Society, this can be a long process. I will keep you posted on how Rabbit Friendship Camp progresses. Beamer is enjoying it because he gets to accompany us on the car rides.
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment