Friday, January 9, 2009

Continuing the Animal Posts

So I know that this is four animal posts in a row, but I can't help it. I promise that next time I will blog about something else--maybe food.

Anyway, one of the first "tourist" places that I wanted to visit when I arrived in Charlotte was the Carolina Raptor Center. (Raptors meaning birds of prey and not velociraptors the dinosaurs.) One of the reasons that I wanted to visit the Raptor Center is because there is no zoo or aquarium in Charlotte. (It is unthinkable, I know.) But the Carolina Raptor Center is basically a refuge for birds of prey that have been injured in some way and cannot be returned to the wild.








One of the cool things is that they have bald eagles here. Not only do they have bald eagles, but they have a pair of breeding bald eagles. It is pretty rare to get bald eagles to breed in captivity. The bald eagles had a couple babies that grew up to maturity. But one year, the had one or two hatching bald eagles, but a big storm came up and killed them. Sad.


I didn't get any pictures of the bald eagles, but here is a picture of an albino falcom. Very cool.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

very cool indeed. Although, if it had been dinosaurs, it would be even cooler.