Monday, January 12, 2009

Soul Food

Soul food is real Southern food. From what I can gather, real soul food must be deep fat fried or otherwise terribly unhealthy. When my parents were here in the Fall, we went to The Coffee Cup, a local institution that serves Soul Food. I thought you might be interested in what we ate.

This is fatback. From what I could gather from the waitress, fatback is deep fat fried fat. Although I generally believe that deep fat frying makes any food better, I did not like fatback.

Macaroni and Cheese. Not the out-of-a-box Kraft kind, but real, homemade macaroni and cheese. It was quite good. Here in the South, macaroni and cheese counts as a vegetable.


Despite the fact that the menu said "chicken and waffle," I wasn't sure what I was getting when I ordered this, but I didn't expect that it would be so....literal. I thought that it would be more saucy (or syrupy). It is definitely an interesting combination.


4 comments:

MBC said...

That macaroni and cheese looks so delicious that I want to cry.

Kirsten said...

you will be prepared for the next time. Although wouldn't it be great if one of the menu items was man and waffle?

Meesh said...

Great Blog, Becky! And Happy Birthday yesterday (Your's is the same day as Jodie's, right?) Mr. Knightly looks bigger than my dog, Bo. He is 1/2 poodle, 1/2 Chihuahua. He weighs 9 lbs. It kills Nick that we have such a sissy dog ... but Bo is perfect for the kids to pick up and tote around. And we supposedly rescued him from the shelter. Poor dog!

I love your writing Becky!

ferskner said...

I want that macaroni and cheese so bad!!!! How do you eat the chicken and waffles? Just bits of both at the same time??