Thursday, September 4, 2008

Academics Aren't as Stuffy as I Thought

So I'm still at the Minnowbrook III Conference and I am still pretending to be smart. Since I have spent all day today talking to strangers and pretending to be smart, I feel quite worn out. Our day ended, however, with skits that were meant to summarize our discussions during this conference, and I discovered that many academic people can be quite funny. Some of the skits were hilarious. There was one skit where everyone read a poem that they had written about public administration. One person even wrote new words to the Major General song from Pirates of Penzance. His new words began with, "I am the very model of the modern public administrationist," so you can see where that went. Another skit was the Public Administration Dating Game where the dating contests tried to impress the bachelorette with their statistical skills and theoretical prowess.

My other favorite quote from the conference came from a famous public administration scholar who said that this conference is like a cicada. It comes out the ground every ten years and makes a lot of noise.

Yes, I am getting paid to be here.

No comments: