Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Outdoor Power Equipment and its Usage

So I bought my first piece of outdoor power equipment last Saturday--a brand new lawn mower, complete with self-propel action. I have decided that outdoor power equipment is an ordeal. First, I didn't understand half of what the descriptions meant. Does it matter if it has a 6.5 torque engine? Second, outdoor power equipment comes in large, heavy boxes. The Home Depot dude struggled getting it into my car. I struggled getting it out of my car.

I ran out of daylight to mow my lawn on Saturday, and I was busy preparing for class yesterday, so that means that today was the day to mow my lawn. I think that the grass was about 8 inches high at least.

It took me longer to "prepare" to mow my lawn than to actually mow it. I had to read the instructions (because I am an instruction reader), and they freaked me out and made me think that the lawn mower would sever one of my limbs if I looked at it wrong. I had to go out to get gas for the thing, and I was almost unsuccessful at that since I had to go to four gas stations before I found one with gas (scary!). Then I filled the thing with all kinds of smelly liquids and wheeled it out to the lawn.

I tried to start the thing and did something wrong because it didn't start. And of course, I looked up and about half the neighborhood is staring at me. So I decided to choose a new strategy and start mowing in the backyard instead of the front. I got the thing going (apparantly you have to hold down the kwan while you pull the other kwan) and mowed the lawn. I discovered that I have a talent for mowing a lawn and making it look worse than it did before it was mowed. Luckily the mower didn't eat me.

But the lawn has been successfully mowed and I am no longer worried about getting hate mail from my neighbors.

Note to Self: Don't empty the bag of grass into a garbage bag while you are in the garage. Do in on the lawn. Then it won't take you longer to clean your garage than mow your lawn.

3 comments:

Porter Family said...

You go girl! I love it. You are the best, Becky. When are you going to post some pictures of YOU!....as a big AP. Congrats on your move and on your lawn mower. you rock!
love you!

Unknown said...

That is great. Bet you are wishing Dad made you mow the lawn while we were growning up.

I told you it would be easier to hire some teanage boy from the ward....

Unknown said...

Ohh and if you think lawn mower instructions are scary you ought to read some chainsaw instructions. Every page features a different limb which you should NOT cut off.