Friday, September 26, 2008

Gas Shortage

You know, when I moved to Charlotte I thought that I would be safe from hurricanes and tropical storms because Charlotte is so far inland. But Hurricane Ike has a longer reach than that. Because the oil refineries are still recovering from the last set of hurricanes, oil production is at low capacity. And since Charlotte's gas comes from the Gulf Coast, we have been hurting for gas. On Tuesday when I went to get gas, I had to go to four or five gas stations before I could find one with gas. Things seems to be getting worse. I've seen all kinds of pictures of long lines at the gas stations and people getting into fights in gas stations when someone cuts in line. Here's a picture from the Charlotte Observer:

I am blessed with a full tank of gas right now and I've been able to work from home most of the week, so that helps.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

It would be interesting to see if the University would cancel classes should the shortage get worse before it gets better.

E said...

Thank goodness for telecommuting! I hope the problem gets resolved there as soon as possible--I'm sure it's quite the mess.

Unknown said...

When we had that 6 day power outage it was hard to get gas, since the gas stations didn't have power either.

So during the day the stations with power (either due to generators or because they were distant and on a different grid) were insanely busy with long lines and such.

I found that going early in the morning to get gas worked out well. You beat the rush. I had to do this every day to get gas for our generator.

You might also want to invest in a couple of 5 gal gas cans. Then you can fill up less often, getting more each time.

And it is a good em-prep thing too. You never know when you might need gas & can't find a gas station/don't have time.

Just remember to put them in a plastic box, or on a tarp or something in your car trunk. If any gas gets in the carpet it takes a long time for the smell to go away. And it is hard to use those containers w/o some drippage.