Sunday, August 10, 2008

Blog Titles

So I have to admit that starting a blog was a premeditated act on my part. I have been thinking for several months that I might start a blog when I moved to Charlotte. My friends (both bloggers and non-bloggers) have all been supportive of this decision. I have definitely enjoyed reading my friends blogs this past year.

I knew before I began that I would need to come up with a good blog title, and that is no easy feat. I discarded many a mediocre idea, and I finally decided to name my blog "No Small Plans" after my favorite quote from Goethe. "Make no small plans, for they have no magic to stir men's souls." I love this quote for several reasons. First, I am a planner. I plan things. I plan my life and the things that I do. I sometimes even plan other people's lives for them. I support making plans. (In all fairness, I must acknowledge that many of my best-laid plans do go awry, and sometimes life feels like a succession of thwarted plans. Nevertheless, I will continue to make plans.)

Second, I like this quote because I agree that making big plans awakens great things in each of us. It is a wonderful thing to be inspired by a big idea and to devote your time and means to accomplishing that goal. I would rather shoot high and miss the mark a little bit than to shoot low and accomplish very little. I believe that all of us should be aiming high with our lives. We should have great expectations for ourselves and for others. It is these great expectations that work as a catalyst within us to make us discipline ourselves in order to receive greater things in the future. How sad it would be live a life that is devoid of inspiration and aspirations. Thus, my blog title--No Small Plans!

I am still working on a list of my big plans for my life in Charlotte, and at some point I might post some of them on my blog. Rest assured that they will involve karaoke. Watch out, Charlotte!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it. Love the title, love the quote.

ferskner said...

Let's do karaoke at the same time and use cell phones to do the harmonies together.