Thursday, August 28, 2008

datingincharlotte.com Part II: The Plot Thickens

So I went to talk to the datingincharotte.com people yesterday. The Executive Director herself chose to meet with me because they are short of women in my age range. So she made it her personal mission to not let me walk out their doors without becoming a member. I tried really hard to resist, especially since dating services are much more expensive than I had ever thought they would be. I should have known that I was in trouble when the first thing that the entry questionnaire said was that it is "an elite dating" service. Oh dear. At least they do a lot to ensure client safety, such as doing background checks on people to make sure that they are: (a) not married, (b) not convicted of any crimes, and (c) financially stable. And it sounds like the pool of men are going to be bankers and doctors and such. Hmm....

Although I questioned my emotional and financial preparedness for this move, I was sucked in. I want to date in Charlotte and I have no built-in way to meet single people here as I am surrounded by married people at work and church. This seemed like a good option. I will admit that it feels like a very radical thing for a Mormon girl to do. I am now pretty much freaking out about it, so I need reassurance. This is very intimidating. I have to create a profile now and go back to have my photo taken. Luckily, I am going to be out of town for the next 10 days, so I have two weeks to get unfreaked out before my profile will be live. Any suggestions of what I should put on my profile? How would you guys describe me?

This is one of those days where I wonder what I have done to myself. I told God that this needs to go down in the books as a HUGE expression of faith. If nothing else, I should at least get a puppy out of this. I will name him Giacomo.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Becky, I applaud you willingness to step outside have to do also if I want to date across the pond. Personally, I am hoping to get some dates with my accent alone.

I sit with baited breath for the next installment.

MBC said...

I hope Giacomo is a border collie.

ferskner said...

I support Giacomo. AND DATES!

Porter Family said...

Becky! I'm sitting here neglecting my 3 children catching up on your blog. I had no idea you were blogging! Why didn't you tell me. I could have been stalking you all this time. You are HILARIOUS! And such a good writer. And you are very smart, so don't ever say you aren't. I'm proud of you. If I was still single...and sometimes I dream about it, I would totally do some on-line dating. You rock! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Do tell all the details. ;-)
-cousin Amy....and I loved the added 'kwan'!
I don't know if you have seen our blog....www.akporters.blogspot.com