So the best part of orientation last week was our field trip. We rode a bus to Uptown (note: we don't call it Downtown here in Charlotte). Then we took a quick tour of the Levine Museum of the New South and had a presentation on the history of racial segregation in the city. Then they took us on a bus tour through some of the historic neighborhoods in town. It was quite informative, and I feel that I know Charlotte so much better now. But the best part is that we went to The United House of Prayer for All People and had a soul food lunch in the cafeteria in their basement. I had the ribs and they were excellent. Along with the main dish, you could also choose two vegetables--most of the vegetable selections were indeed vegetables, but among them was also macaroni and cheese (not the out-of-a-box kind, but the homemade kind with real cheese). It was quite delicious. I also give a thumbs-up to the coconut pie. If any of you come to visit me in Charlotte, we will go have a soul food lunch.
I also found out that in two weeks there is a free gospel concert at this church too, and I am so excited about it.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I want to go to a gospel choir concert with you!
Yes, I will be eating soul food lunch with you.
Post a Comment