Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Super Castle Party Day, Part I--Edinburgh Castle

So one of the days while we were in Scotland, we had Super Castle Party Day. We visited four castles (a beach, two cemeteries and two churches) all the in course of one day. The first castle on the list was Edinburgh Castle. Pinchy's dorm (where we stayed in Edinburgh) was literally a minute walk away from Edinburgh Castle, which was super cool. How many people get to live by a castle? Since the military tattoo was going on while we were there, we could hear the bagpipe music in Pinchy's dorm. It was so Scotland! It made me smile every time I heard it.

Edinburgh Castle was basically a military fortress for most of its history. It is a huge compound on a hill overlooking the city.





The guy in the picture below is not on permanent display. He was posing for a picture of his own.

This is one of my favorite shots from the castle. It is of the cemetery for the dogs of the soldiers who were stationed at Edinburgh Castle.






2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I took numerous pictures of the dog graveyard too.

The Coordinatrix said...

Oh yay. I'm glad that you caved in and went to see Edinburgh Castle. You can't live right next to it and not see it!