So went rented a car this week to help us do some day trips in the countryside around Bath, and I have been nominated as the official driver. When we picked up our car on Monday morning, they gave us a free upgrade to an Audi A4. At first I thought that was great because Audis are fancy, smancy cars. But the thing drives like a boat. It is hard to maneuver in a place like England that is more suitable for smaller cars. At least I haven’t had to parallel park yet!
One of the tricky things about our car is that when they gave it to us, they told us that the battery in the key is dead so we would have to use the manual key. The problem with that is that the security system is rigged so that if the car is opened with the key, the alarm will go off if the car isn’t started in 15 seconds. So yes, I have set off the car alarm at least a dozen times. I set it off several times on the first day and we couldn’t figure out why until we read the owner’s manual.
But we have successfully adapted to driving on the left with the steering wheel on the right. The first couple days were a little bit stressful, especially when we got lost in Cardiff (the capital of Wales) and almost had an accident in a roundabout. But we have since figured out most of the driving norms and signs around here. We have even gotten quite good at roundabouts now—the multiple lane roundabouts were a bit tricksy at first.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment