Monday, July 20, 2009

Musical Journey Through London

We used London as an opportunity to get some culture (because museums and monuments are not sufficiently cultural by themselves). On our first night in London, we continued our celebration of Bastille Day by going to see Les Miserables. We got the last four tickets! It was a fabulous performance, and yes, I have been singing the songs all week.

We also attended Evensong at Westminster Abbey (abbey shown below). Evensong is a religious service of the Anglican church that is primarily sung by a choir. The choir we heard was fabulous!

Then on Friday night last week, we went to a candlelight concert of Mozart's Requiem in the St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church on Trafalgar Square. It was an absolutely amazing concert! The choir and orchestra were stupendous. And there is nothing like an old church for great acoustics. I was going to take an illicit video to post, but I refrained. You must instead take my word for it.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

I've posted some of my own illegally recorded choir performance videos. Perhaps the closest I have come to walking on the wild side.

DeskSet said...

Hi Coordinatrix!

I hope you don't mind I've been following your blog. I found it through Ferskner's. I'm so excited that you're on this trip, and I'm really excited about your being in Britain. The musical opportunities, including Evensong, were some of my favorite parts of being there too. I hope you're having a great time!

-Marcie :)

ferskner said...

That concert sounds AWESOME!!!! So killer jealous...